The writeback settings determine what information is synced into your management system. You can choose whether to have certain information writeback automatically or manually.
The availability of this feature is dependent on your Weave bundle. Schedule a time with a Weave representative to learn more.
Authorize Writebacks for Digital Forms
- Select Settings from the menu on the left
- Select Writebacks
- Choose how you would like the information synced using the dropdown next to each option
- Click Authorize to enable writebacks for digital forms
This will automatically save and can be changed at any time.
Once you authorize writebacks, you will have the option to configure different types of writebacks to occur automatically or not at all. New Patient Creation will create a new patient record in your management system. Update Existing Patient Records recognizes a returning patient and updates their record. Medical History Writebacks (OpenDental only) offer the ability to update records with allergies, medical conditions, and medication information. PDF document writebacks provide a full PDFs of completed forms in your management software's document system.
If your account has multiple locations, you can still authorize writeback settings as long as you have *writeback-capable practice management system integrations.
- Click Settings in the Digital Forms Dashboard
- Select Writebacks
- Click the Authorize circle
- In the pop-up, confirm the authorization
- Select the preferred management system you would like submitted forms to writeback to in the Writeback Destinations section
- Only *practice management systems that have supported writeback capabilities will show
- During writeback, if a patient record is found only in a different writeback-capable management system, Forms will update that patient record
- Confirm the change of writeback destination in the pop-up
- Click Save Changes in the Authorize Writebacks Section
Changes will automatically be saved after you authorize writebacks for the first time. You can also choose whether information should write back manually, automatically, or not at all whenever a writeback occurs (whether writing back to the default destination or another writeback-capable management system) using dropdowns at the bottom of the page.
See how to manually write back a form submission when multiple management systems are available below
Medical History Writebacks are not available for multi-location accounts.
*Dentrix 6.3+, Eaglsoft 18+, and OpenDental
Manually Retry a Failed Writeback Sync
If a form fails to write back to your management system, it may need to be manually synced.
- Click into the submission detail page in the Failed Sync folder
- Scroll to the bottom, make sure the writebacks are toggled on, and click Retry Sync
Turn on Manual Writeback Controls
If you'd like to have more control over what, when, and how information writes back to your management system from submitted forms, you can manage them in the Digital Forms Dashboard.
- Select Settings from the left menu
- Click Writebacks
- From here use the dropdowns to choose writebacks to sync automatically, manually, or not at all for:
- New Patient Creation: Allows Weave to create new patient profiles in your management system if it does not recognize the name submitted with the form
- Patient Record Updates: Allows Weave to update the patient record in your management system from the information on a form
- PDF Document Writebacks: Allows Weave to upload a PDF of each form into your management system's document library
Changes save automatically.
- None: No writeback will occur
- Automatic: Writebacks will happen automatically as soon as a submission is received. If an automatic writeback fails, you can still retry the writeback.
- Manual: Writebacks are set up to happen, but you will have the opportunity to review the information before Weave Digital Forms updates the data in your practice management system.
Approve Manual Writebacks
If you've chosen to have some information write back manually, you'll need to approve submitted forms before the information syncs to your management system.
- In the Dashboard, click Needs Review
- Select any form needing review
- Check the submission to make sure the information is correct
- Click on the Writebacks section
- Manually toggle the info you would like to write back for:
- Create Patient
- Update Patient
- Upload Document
- Press Sync All
Manual Writebacks for Multi-Location Accounts
If a patient is found in multiple of the writeback-capable practice management systems, you’ll have to manually choose the preferred writeback destination.
- Click into the form within the Dashboard
- In the Writebacks section, click See More next to the practice management system names
- In the pop-up, click the circle next to the desired destination system
- Click Confirm
- Click Sync All
A patient found in one system will automatically write back as long as the management system is writeback-capable and automatic writebacks are chosen in the settings. If manual writebacks are selected, you’ll have to approve the writeback in the form submission manually.