This guide details the necessary changes for Open WRT routers. Weave phones work well with Open WRT routers. There is typically just one important setting to verify in the Open WRT configuration. In order to ensure that no additional firewalls will be interfering with phone traffic, it is necessary to verify that the Open WRT router is receiving an internet routable (public) IP address on its WAN interface.
You can verify the public IP by following the steps below.
1. Check for a public IP address on the WAN Interface
- Login to the Open WRT web interface
- Click on the tab labeled Network
- On the Interfaces page, locate the the router's WAN IP address (see image)
2. Verify that the WAN interface is receiving a public IP address
If the IP address begins in 192.168.X.X, 10.X.X.X or 172.16.X.X-172.31.X.X then the router is not receiving a public IP address and you should contact your ISP to put your modem in bridge, DMZ, or PPOE mode.