A phone tree is an automated telephone information system that speaks to the caller with a combination of fixed-voice menus in real time.
You must have the user role of Admin to edit phone trees.
Note: Phone trees are also called: call tree, auto-attendant, or IVR (interactive voice response)
These calls can be routed to an internal extension # or to an external 10-digit phone number. Phone trees are commonly used for "after hour" messages. This allows you to prompt the customer to press a key to be forwarded to a mail box, personal extension, or directly to the on-call doctor’s phone number.
Create a Phone Tree
In order to create a new phone tree, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before you contact Weave support, make sure you have these things in place:
- Record your greetings
- Open or Closed Phone Tree greeting (Required): Contains any introductory information you would like to share with your customers and a description of each option in your phone tree
- Voicemail greetings: What your customers will hear to prompt them to leave a voicemail
- Sub Tree greeting: Lists options in a sub menu
- Be ready to answer these questions:
- When would you like the phone tree to go live?
- Would you like a phone tree played during open hours, closed hours, or both?
- Do you want your phones to ring before going to the phone tree? If so, what phone extensions would you like to ring and how many times?
- How many prompts (or dials) would you like for your Phone Tree(s)?
- Which phones and voicemail boxes should be linked to each prompt?
- Would you like to receive text or email notifications for the voicemail box(es)? These messages will come at all hours. If so, what emails or cell phone numbers would you like to receive the messages?
- Will calls need to be forwarded to outside numbers on any of the prompts? Please provide a phone number and the prompt number.
- Do you want any sub-menus to play greetings or giving options?
Managing Your Phone Tree
- In the Weave Portal, select the Phone and then Phone Tree
- Select the Phone Tree you would like to manage
- Under Phone Tree Greeting, select from the dropdown menu to change to a file in your media library
- Add a phone tree greeting to your media library by following the steps in the Record or Upload Your Voicemail Greeting article
Note: Remember to record your message for the Phone Tree introduction even though you are following the voicemail greeting steps. Name your greeting according to the phone tree so it is easy to find later.
- Choose your Phone Tree recording from the Select Greeting dropdown menu
- To begin setting up your phone tree, select Add Dial Number. Use the drop-down that appears to choose the number that clients will select for the call.
Customize the phone tree by using thedropdown menus to specify what each dial should do:
Call Group: Rings to a specific Call Group
Play Message: Plays a pre-recorded message from the media library (ex. office hours)
Forward to Device: Sends caller to a specific device (Weave Phone)
Forwarding Number: Sends caller to an external phone number
Voicemail Message: Sends caller to a determined Voicemail Box and Greeting (select Skip Greeting to go straight to voicemail box)
- You can choose to have No Greeting, the Weave Default Greeting that is a recording provided by Weave, or your own recording from the Media Library
Not Configured: Disables the dial option
- Add Fallback Options to make sure all of your phone calls are answered.
- If you need to remove an instruction, click the X found on the far right of the screen
Note: Once Voicemail option is chosen, there can be no more Fallback Options after it. If you add Voicemail in the middle of your Fallback Options, all options after will be deleted.
When you have finished with your edits, select save changes.