When downloading the Weave desktop app from a Linux computer, you will have to take a few extra steps.
- Download the desktop app by clicking the button:
- Right-click the downloaded file and open it with the package installer
Note: The default path for installation is /usr/local/weave. You will need to create the directory /usr/local/weave with the following command: sudo mkdir/usr/local/weave. The installation can also be done from the command line in a terminal window after creating the directory using sudo tar -xvzf Client.tgz -C /usr/local/weave
- Create or download the weave.desktop file in usr/local/share/applications. If you choose to create the file, see the contents below
- Download the Weave icon and copy from Downloads to /usr/local/share/applications
The Weave desktop app is now downloaded. You can open it either within your applications or by creating a Quick Launch on the launch bar.
Comment=Weave desktop application
Update Linux Weave Desktop App
The Weave desktop app on a Linux computer will not automatically update. To do so:
- Close the client application
- Copy and paste the following into a terminal session:
https://storage.googleapis.com/software-updates.getweave.com/latest/Client.tgz -qO- | sudo tar -xvz -C /usr/local/weave
- If you would prefer, you can create a file named Weave_Client_update.sh with the following:
Give it execute permissions with chmod +x Weave_Client_update.sh
Execute it to update the client
# script downloads and updates the Weave client in a Linux environment
# This downloads and extracts the client for a software update.
echo "Downloading and updating the Weave Client application"
-qO- | sudo tar -xvz -C /usr/local/weave
You can schedule the script to run regularly with cron so the client is always up to date.